Besides helping you navigate our collections, we offer these services in the Museum and Archives:
• Three dedicated computer work stations
• Free access to Ancestry Library edition
• Digital microfilm reader and printer
• Access to digitized historic photographs and documents
• Spacious tables to spread out your research materials
• Free wi-fi
• Photocopies and scans
• Simple lookups
Please note that the Fayette Public Library, Museum and Archives will be closed to the public beginning March 16. The library and archives will remain staffed and able to assist patrons via telephone and e-mail.
Additionally, we sponsor the following online:
• A searchable online catalog listing our artifacts, books, documents, maps, photographs, scrapbooks and textiles, along with a description and often with a thumbnail photograph. You will need to contact or visit the Museum and Archives to view the actual items.
• Searchable digitized Fayette County newspapers through 1965 are available at the Portal to Texas History. Schulenburg newspapers before 1965 are sponsored by the Schulenburg Public Library and are available on the Portal at this link. You will need to visit the Museum and Archives to view newspapers
published after 1965.
• The Fayette Public Library/Fayette Heritage Museum & Archives Facebook page offers #inthearchives posts every Tuesday and #flashbackfriday posts every Friday, as well as upcoming events.
• Our newsletter includes information on new exhibits, upcoming programs, and recent donations, among other things. See past newsletters or subscribe to have them emailed directly to you.
Finally, we suggest the following free websites for local history and to aid your genealogical research:
•The Fayette County TXGenWeb Project, a volunteer-driven repository of local history and family data
• FamilySearch.org offers genealogical data, including images of nineteenth century marriage licenses, probate and tax records. You must register, but there is no charge.
• The Texas General Land Office Land Grant Search yields scanned images of all Texas land grants